With changes occurring worldwide in all organizational sectors, the healthcare industry too needs to embrace change in its workflow in order to succeed. For this, the process workflow must be in sync with competence and productivity.
In the case of orthopedics, optimization of workflow is particularly important and can be made beneficial by redesigning the EHR (Electronic Health Record) systems. These systems aid in streamlining most processes in the orthopedic structure which includes patient flow, lab orders, billing, e-prescribing, reimbursements and scheduling of follow-ups, thereby augmenting effectiveness and revenues. An overall improvement in the workflow that also includes the billing and coding working of the practice can eventually bring in better reimbursements.
- A good way to begin is by analyzing the loopholes, inadequacies and bottlenecks and fixing them. Examine and chalk out the processes currently performed and their approach taken. The staff at all levels must be consulted to find out the areas for improvement.
- Purchase EHR systems that are tailored for the orthopedic practice. These EHR help improve workflow and efficiency, thereby getting rid of duplication. Accurate documentation and diagramming of office working can aid in removing redundancies.
- Usage of applications with ‘one click’ plans, which could cater information about specific conditions along with making it possible to document the records as and when they can make it easier for physicians to concentrate more on patient recovery.
- Again, standard templates and processes must be created which can include diagnosis, treatment procedures, follow-up information, post-operative details etc. This will enable the physician to use it as the per the patients’ requirements.
- Implementation of web-based applications also enhances the workflow. These applications allow the physician to observe images instantly thereby deciding on the next course of action.
Once the patient information is centralized, the workflow and other processes get easier for the physician to handle. Patients receive more time and pre-operative planning becomes easier. It is also advantageous to optimize the clinics’ template for scheduling to be able to enhance patient care by keeping a watch on the category of patients visiting the healthcare facility (new or existing patients). Automation of physicians’ notes and other operational tasks augment patient satisfaction.
An optimized workflow will eventually reduce physician overheads and increase patient satisfaction, thereby yielding overall profitability and better reimbursements.