Road to 10: The Small Physician Practice's Route to ICD-10
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is pleased to announce the release of the Road to 10, a free online resource built with the help of physicians in small practices. Available on the Provider Resources page at cms.gov/ICD10, this tool is intended to help small medical practices jumpstart their ICD-10 transition.
The Road to 10 gives providers the capability to build ICD-10 action plans tailored for their practice needs. The customized action plans break down the transition into concrete steps:
- Plan Your Journey – Look at the codes you use, prepare a budget, and build a team;
- Train Your Team – Find options and resources to help your team get ready for the transition;
- Update Your Processes – Check your clinical documentation and update policies, procedures, systems, and forms;
- Engage Your Partners – Talk to your software vendors, clearinghouses, and billing services; and
- Test Your Systems and Processes – Test within your practice and with your partners.
The tool is designed for use by small practices in primary care as well as all specialties. The Road to 10’s resources includes common ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes, clinical documentation primers, and clinical scenarios for:
- Family practice
- Internal medicine
Keep Up to Date on ICD-10
Visit the CMS ICD-10 website for the latest news and resources to help you prepare for the October 1, 2014, compliance date. Sign up for CMS ICD-10 Industry Email Updates and follow us on Twitter.