October 3rd is Last Day for 1st-year Medicare EPs to Begin a 2014 Reporting Period
National Health IT Week is September 15-19, 2014. CMS will mark the week by hosting several webinars and launching new resources on eHealth University that help providers participate in eHealth programs. For the latest news and updates on CMS’ Health IT activities, visit the CMS eHealth website.
CMS wants to make sure you don’t miss an opportunity to receive incentive payments for the Medicare EHR Incentive Program. The last day to begin a 2014 reporting period for first-year Medicare eligible professionals is October 3rd.
Here are a few key points eligible professionals who have not yet started participation in the Medicare EHR Incentive Program should know.
- October 3rd is the last day to start the 90-day reporting period in 2014 for the Medicare EHR Incentive Program
- If you start participation by October 3, you will have the opportunity to receive an incentive for 2014, and if you continue to achieve meaningful use, can earn incentive payments for 2015 and 2016 participation
- If you wait and start participation in 2015, you will not be eligible to receive incentive payments, but can avoid payment adjustments
You will not avoid the payment adjustment in 2015, as you will not be able to attest to 90 days of data by October 1, 2014.
- If you applied for a 2015 hardship exception by July 1, 2014, you may avoid the payment adjustment
- If you attest to 2014 data by February 28, 2015, you will avoid the 2016 payment adjustment
- Medicare eligible professionals must attest to demonstrating meaningful use every year to receive an incentive and avoid a payment adjustment