Durable Medical Equipment Billing is somewhat unique if we compare it with other specialty billing. Basically, Durable Medical Equipment (DME) gives therapeutic benefits to patients experiencing certain healing conditions and/or some diseases. So a DME is built to serve the medical purpose of patients for regular use at home or in a hospital or any other healthcare unit.
Standard DME products (Part A and B) include:
- Pressure sleeves
Nonetheless, it is astonishing that apart from the significance, DME billing has lots of uncertainty around it. It is extremely appalling that despite DME suppliers getting an adequate doctor prescription for provisions, they frequently struggle to cover their said revenue/income.
Distinctive DME organizations have diverse DME billing styles relying upon the frequency. A few organizations charge consistently as and when required while a few others charge a couple of times as the year progressed. DME billing should be to a great extent be careful and precise as a single billing and coding error can lead to a major loss thousands of dollars for the DME merchant.
The doctor may suggest a DME provider or the patient should look for one in his region. But, in any case, the patient is free to choose the durable medical equipment supplier of his choice and from where he can get the supplies.
The DME provider must perform specific activities while giving equipment. These Include:
- Legitimate delivery and set up of the equipment
- Guaranteeing the home condition is sheltered and reasonable for the best possible use of the equipment
- Preparing the patient, the family or the guardian on the best possible use and the upkeep of the hardware.
- Informing the patient or the caregiver usage and maintenance tips of the equipment.
All DME provider likewise requires to consent to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) to secure the patient’ secrecy and records.
Reimbursements in DME Medicare Part B
Durable medical equipment(s) are generally secured by the healthcare insurance of the patient, for example, Medicare (Part B). Medicare (Part B) covers 80% of the items and 20% is given to supplemental insurance. As a rule, the items may cost little to nothing except if a copayment is required from the store.
Restrictions of Medicare (Part B) coverage for medical supplies
Medicare coverage for durable medical equipment items are part of the patients Part B benefits but provided that it is medically necessary and prescribed by your physician for use at home. In order to get those benefits, your equipment or medical supplies must be prescribed by and purchased from providers who are a part of the Medicare program and accept the Medicare regulations.
In most scenarios, you pay 20 percent of the amount allowed under Medicare after you have met any applicable Part B deductible amounts.
Also, if you live in certain parts of the country, your equipment or DME supplies may be subject to the competitive bidding program. This is a cost-saving initiative that is helping Medicare bring health-care costs into an alliance with actual prices for the items purchased. If the competitive bidding program stands applicable to your Medicare coverage, you must use a supplier contracted with the Medicare program in order to receive your benefits.
What equipment & supplies are included?
- Commode chairs
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) devices and related supplies
- Diabetes testing supplies (mail-order only)
- Enteral nutrient equipment and supplies
- Hospital beds and related accessories
- Nebulizers (standard) and related supplies
- Negative Pressure Wound Therapy (NPWT) pumps and related supplies
- Oxygen and related equipment and supplies
- Patient Lifts
- Respiratory assist devices (RADs) and related supplies
- Scooter and related accessories
- Seat Lifts
- Support surfaces (group 1 and group 2)
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) devices
- Wheelchairs (standard power or manual) and related accessories
Medical Billers and Coders:
Medical Billers and Coders have 19 years’ experience in outsourcing medical billing and coding services. Medicalbillersandcoders.com is the ultimate Medical Billing organization in the US with incomparable expertise in all areas of billing & coding. Our billing specialists provide support to practitioners based in all states & our experts handle billing for over 40 specialties.
Hundreds of physician groups, Clinics & Hospitals have been benefited from the revenue management accuracy & expertise provided by us.