As we all know, in the current age of the internet, having a website for your practice is a must. But if your website is not properly optimized then you would fall behind the competition. SEO stands for ‘search engine optimization. It is the process of getting organic traffic from search engines. In other words, it’s the process of making a website readable to popular search engines like Google, Yahoo, and Bing. It’s simply telling the search engines who you are, what you do, how they can contact you, and where your practice is located.
80% or more consumers use search engines to find local information. They will search for practice addresses, business hours, available services, and directions. It’s a known fact that most private practices compete for business within a 15-mile radius of their location. That means we don’t need to get too fancy or overly technical – taking care of some of the SEO basics will bring new patients as well as help you to connect with your current patients SEO is like a highway billboard saying who, what and where you are located.
Following are few basic SEO techniques that will help you to optimize your website:
- Keywords are at the heart of SEO. Your first step is to make a list of about 10 short words and terms associated with your service. Use Google’s Keyword Tool to identify their search volume and come up with variations that make sense for your business.
- Create a separate webpage to rank for a handful of keywords. Each web page needs to include relevant content for your prospects and customers. At the same time include pictures and links to pages on your site to enhance the user experience.
- Include your city name along with top keywords in the website content (i.e. we are a DME supplier in Cleveland).
- Include your full address on every page of your website (not just the contact us page) and make sure it is exactly the same everywhere (same words, punctuation, etc.). It needs to be consistent.
- Also include your hours of operation, driving directions, and pages devoted to the services you offer. This ensures that search engines can easily find your site and that patients see what they want to see the moment they click through.
- Today, most people trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations, making them powerful tools to bring in new patients to your practice. You should be aware of the power of positive online reviews when optimizing for local traffic. Local searches lead to more visits. This means high local search rankings equals increased traffic and revenue for your practice. The importance of ranking in local search is undeniable.
- Make sure your NAP (Name, Address, and Phone Number) is consistent across all channels. This includes your website, social media profiles, review sites, and directory listings.
- Use local keywords in your URLs, heading tags, title tags, and content, where appropriate.
- Link your Google Maps listing to your website.
- Blogging can be an incredible way to rank for keywords and engage your website’s users.
- Make sure your site is optimized for viewing on mobile browsers.
Search engine optimization doesn’t happen overnight, but it’s an important piece of a successful online reputation. An optimized website will help you to increase website traffic and can bring more targeted visitors. And with proper website experience, these potential visitors might lead to an exponential increase in your practice collection.